BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 6, 2011

"Love Wins" ch. 7 & 8

"Love Wins"...unless you are Rob Bell. Ever since the release of his new book, Rob Bell has seen praise from the New York Times and backlash from the evangelical church. It seems there has been no end to the opinions expressed by those that have not even read the book. So, in an effort to find out if "Love Wins" for me, I have bought a copy and will be blogging my reflections through it as I read. My hope is that I will be affirmed, edified and enlightened in the truth of the Gospel message, but if not, then the $24 I spent on the brand new hard cover edition can just be my early birthday present for Rob...

___________________________________________________



Chapter 7

Bell discusses the Parable of the Lost Son and the two stories it tells. One story is about a son who flees from his home, squanders his inheritance, and returns to his father with regret and repentance; his father throws a huge party! The other story is about the son who stayed. He grew bitter and jealous because he believed that his father did not truly care for him or desire to celebrate him. His heart was dry and calloused. Yet both sons were both at the party. True, the celebration was for the repentant son, but instead of joining in the celebration, the son who had stayed...pitched a fit. Bell teaches that this parable reveals a truth about the next life: heaven and hell are both at the party.

The party in this parable represents the return of Jesus, the wedding celebration of the lamb. This is the event where the church and Jesus are united in the ultimate reception (I hope Reverend Run is the DJ)! Jesus evens refers to himself as the bridegroom. Bell seems to suggest that this party goes on forever.

Until now, I have gotten behind a lot of what Bell had to say. His corrections of our cultural understanding of hell are fantastic, his uncanny way of bringing the Bible to life inspires me to read, pray, and study deeper, and his ability to probe truth and ask challenging questions has helped me see that God can handle tough questions and truth will always be revealed. But, I can't quite go here with Bell.

I see where the Parable of the Lost Son discusses reproach, redemption, rebellion, and reconciliation, but I don't see where it's focus is on eternity. The Parable of the Bridegroom, however, clearly speaks about our entrance into the life to come. Ten virgins are preparing for wedding. The bridegroom (representing Jesus) comes at an unexpected time and only some of the virgins are able to enter the celebration. There is a key phrase in verse 10, and the door was shut.

There is a finality there, a sense of either being in...or out...in this life.

Further, I would ask Bell:

What about those not "in Christ" in 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17?

What about those who are taken and those left in Matthew 24:40-41

What about the lake of fire, in whom the devil, hell, and those not written in the Book of Life will be thrown from Revelation 20 & 21?

In...or...out. That's what I see in these passages--although, I am always open to some new perspectives.

Throughout this book, Bell has stuck to his purposes in the preface of raising questions about what the Bible teaches concerning heaven, hell, and eternal judgment, and about helping those outside the church understand what the Bible teaches. He strives to use research, manners and customs, and boldness to craft his understanding. I respect it, but don't agree with all of it. I do not see a picture of eternity with heaven and hell combined.

Bell's strongest point in this chapter is that the Gospel cannot simply be reduced down to an in or out mindset. Life in Christ is about heaven on earth, reconciliation, redemption, creativity, life, joy, expression, and the boundless love of God--that is something I want to be in, and I won't look for reasons to keep others out. We should live godly lives in plain view, so others can see it and flock to it.

Chapter 8

Bell's final chapter is more of a epilogue that he wanted to make sure people read, so he called it a chapter. It is rich, it is heartfelt, it is honest, and I think reveals more of what Bell truly believes.

His recounting of praying to become a Christian as a child shows an innocence in becoming a Christian that, perhaps, he resented until he was ready to embrace the life (as an adult). I see a tone of urgency as he begins to discuss how the Bible teaches that there is a finality to this life; we don't get a "do-over", so our current decisions matter.

I don't see a Universalist, a Heretic, a Lunatic, or a Liar. I see a man who wants people to get closer to God and live like Jesus, something I can't argue with...even if I don't agree with all of his points. His benediction says it all:

May you experience this vast,
expansive, infinite, indestructible love
that has been yours all along.
May you discover that this love is as wide
as the sky and as small as the cracks in
your heart no one else knows about.
And may you know,
deep in your bones,
that love wins.


Thanks Rob...I'm happy with my purchase.

0 comments: