BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"Love Wins" ch. 1

"Love Wins"...unless you are Rob Bell. Ever since the release of his new book, Rob Bell has seen praise from the New York Times and backlash from the evangelical church. It seems there has been no end to the opinions expressed by those that have not even read the book. So, in an effort to find out if "Love Wins" for me, I have bought a copy and will be blogging my reflections through it as I read. My hope is that I will be affirmed, edified and enlightened in the truth of the Gospel message, but if not, then the $24 I spent on the brand new hard cover edition can just be my early birthday present for Rob...

___________________________________________________

Chapter 1
Bell begins by doing what he does best...asking questions. His purpose in this chapter appears to be to challenge people. I found myself asking these questions while reading:

Do I really understand what I claim to believe?


Is what I believe built on Scripture...or on the traditions of men?

Bell's goal always comes down to attacking the comfortable, inherited, rote doctrines of our various church cultures - much the way Jesus attacked the Pharisees doctrine and practice.

He starts off by talking about Gandhi in the context of a Church sponsored event. That's enough for some people in the church to stop reading right there! The words pluralism, humanism, and compromise can start running through the head of the most devout church-goers, but Bell's point is clear:

How do you know Gandhi went to Hell?

Were you there? Did you see him at the point of death? Did you read the Lamb's book of life to see if he was on the list?

I know I didn't.

This is a point he reiterates later with the story of a young girl at a friend's funeral. She was asked by a Christian if the boy who died in a car accident was a Christian. She replied that he was an atheist. His reply: "So there's no hope then."

Do you know he's in Hell? Were you there with him to learn his eternal fate? Did God give you some insider information? Is our main purpose as Christians to cast spurious judgments on people? Did Jesus call the church to be the accusers of sin? As I recall, that was someone else's title...and I don't want it...

By my reading, Bell also takes some jabs at Calvinism (the few, chosen), Arminianism (age of accountability), and even raises questions about the idea of a "personal relationship" as being a standard of salvation - I am particularly interested to see where this argument goes. He also seems to suggest that there is a process of knowing Jesus that is gradual. He is not tied to the "sinner's prayer", baptism, or any point of salvation. I am very interested to hear his viewpoints on this idea. Bell reveals in the Gospels that the only ones who knew Jesus' identity and purpose right from their first interaction with him...were demons (cf. Luke 4, Matthew 8 & Mark 1...here, actually).

Regular people needed time. Pharisees needed questions. Disciples needed to process. Demons came right out with Jesus' identity.

Fascinating.

The title of this chapter, What about a flat tire? asks what is the role Christians play in leading others to salvation.

Bell states, If our salvation, our future, our destiny is dependent on others bringing the message to us, teaching us, showing us--what happens if they don't do their part?


What if the missionary gets a flat tire?

It's the question I have heard before restated: What about the tribe nestled away in the deepest jungle of the Amazon that will never hear the Gospel? 


Great question! I anxiously anticipate Bell's response.

The second chapter will focus on Heaven...I hope I get to go!



0 comments: